Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Cherished

Hi Everyone,
I am super excited to be a guest on the Try It on Tuesday blog.  Their current theme is "Mum's the Word." 
I chose to make this vignette tray featuring the cutest little boy and his mum. 
I started by covering my journal block using a light layer of gesso. I'm pretty ok with the natural chipboard color showing through on a lot of my projects(sometimes I just use the raw chipboard).  If you want a really solid color on top you can just add a bit more gesso.  I also use a foam makeup applicator to apply the gesso.  I find I can pounce the gesso on and it doesn't clog up the little detailed bits.
I lined my vignette tray with a piece of paper from the Tim Holtz wallflower collection and lined the edge with decorative tape from the Rose set. 
The inside edges were whitewashed using thinned out white acrylic paint.  

I splattered the inside using Distress Paint in Black Soot, Picket Fence, and Sterling.

Using Archival ink in Jet Black, I stamped the middle of the journal block using the Tim Holtz Papillon set. I painted all of the flower bits using Dina Wakley Media Paints(Turquoise, Sky, Blushing, and Lemon) and Tim Holtz Distress Paints(Forest Moss and Twisted Citron).  To color the center of the block I smooshed Distress ink(Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Walnut Stain, and Pumice Stone) on my craft mat and spritzed it with water.  Make sure to dry between layers to prevent mud! The edges were antiqued using Distress Crayons(Black Soot and Vintage Photo).     
I placed my journal block in the tray and fiddled with cheesecloth behind.  You might notice in my finished piece I flipped the journal block.  Don't glue anything down until you're positive that's where it's going to stay!

 
I cut one of the Tim Holtz rulers using my scissors to fit the tray and then colored it using Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress Stains. 
I colored my image using Distress Markers and Oxide Inks.  
This is why I flipped my journal block.  I liked my sentiment better on the larger flowers.  I mounted the jornal block on foam tape to give extra height and dimension.  The sentiment and paper doll were also mounted using foam tape. 
I added the Typography letters and made sure the word I wanted to use fit before gluing it down(hence the super crooked letters).  Mum got a bouquet of vintage flowers.  
I added a metal photo corner and colored it using Distress Paint and Crayons.  
The letters got a very light wash of Oxide Ink and Paint mixed together.  
I hope you enjoyed! 
Jess

I am also entering this into  A Vintage Journey's Treasure challenge- my treasure on here are the vintage flowers the mum is holding.  





25 comments:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous. So glad to have you as Designer this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magnificent scene you have created Jess, a beautiful GD piece with lots of lovely layers. I agree totally about not gluing anything down until completely sure you want it there!!! As your wording says a piece to truly Cherish.. Thank you for those how to do's.
    Creative wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing vignette tray - I love it! I so enjoyed seeing how you created it too, all the details look stunning 😁. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning project Jess. All the details and photos you shares are lovely. Thank you for being our Guest Designer at TioT's for this challenge theme.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jess! I enjoyed this very much! It's great to see you as our guest at TIOT especially with such a beautiful project! The colours and the addition of the cheesecloth really do look great with your image of the little lad and his Mum! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous project Jess, I love all the details and it was great to read the creative steps. Lovely to have you joining us at TioT with this wonderful piece.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous piece of art, love all the textures and added elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great project Jess! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful and sweet project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess you Guest Design piece is fabulous. Thank you for the inspiration you gave us all at Try it on Tuesday this time.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is simply WONDERFUl Jess! Great to have you as a designer this fortnight at TioT!
    Your art is unique!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess, this is totally cool! I love all of your layering and so happy you shared your steps!
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this tray, you captured the family vibe as it should be. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your GDT gig! What a beautiful vignette you have created for them, Jess! I love the coloring on your dolls and that fabulously colored journal block! My what a treasure this is! thank you for sharing at A Vintage Journey! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful scene you created inside your box - love the collage of pieces on your background and the sweet bouquet in the Mum's hand - Thanks for sharing how you put this all together Jess - and for sharing with us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge - Treasure - Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful vintage treasure of a project Jess, love it. Thanks for taking the time to share it for our fourth birthday celebrations at A Vintage Journey. Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.