Friday, April 29, 2016

Distress Crayon Collage Tutorial


I've been having a lot of fun using paper napkins.  I have never used them for crafting, but a group I trade with opened my eyes to this awesome medium.  I have been asked to put together a tutorial, so here it goes. I am making bookmarks here, so they will look smaller than the image above, but I did everything exactly the same.
For the first layer you will need your Distress Collage Medium, one of the underlayers of the printed napkins, and cardstock(I am just using the cheap stuff from the craft store).  Spread a thin layer of the Collage Medium all over your paper and cover it with the napkin.  I squish it on there so I get wrinkles and bumps.  Add a second layer of Collage Medium on top of the napkin.  You can let it air dry or use your heat tool to dry it.  
Scribble on several colors of Distress Crayon and blend with your fingers.  The crayon moves so smoothly over the collage medium. 
You can see I didn't worry about getting it all the way to the edges.  I am going to keep layering, so I am not worried about patches of blank space. 
Use a stencil to add on texture paste.  You can let it air dry or dry it with your heat tool.  Don't forget to clean your stencil right away.  
The texture paste on the left has been scribble on with Distress Crayons.  The image on the right has a paper napkin burnished onto the texture paste using my finger ans a bit of collage medium.  So there are two ways you can do this step.
I added my image and then stamped around it using Jet Black Archival and Hydrangea.  
I added a Small Talk sentiment and used the Black Soot Crayon around the edges. 
To complete the bookmark I used a black and white pen in a random fashion all over the piece.
Here's the one with the napkin.  Same techniques, but it has a totally different esthetic.
Here are some of the others pieces I have made using this technique.




I am entering these into a few challenges:

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and try it for yourself!
Jess














18 comments:

  1. Fabulous projects, what a great way to use paper napkins ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous technique! Love all your creations! Must try on my next project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all beautiful Jess, I love the texture you created with the napkins, your colour choices are wonderful and your collage elements work wonderfully well.

    Thank you so much for joining in our Spring is in the Air challenge at A Vintage Journey.

    Thank you too, for joining in our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute! Anne DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work!!
    Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning creations! Love the technique you have used, also thanks for the tutorial. We are always happy to see you at TioT. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collages, and really neat background technique! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thank you for sharing with us at TioT's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tags/bookmarks, thanks for joining us at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for this wonderful tutorial! your pieces are excellent! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful collage works with awesome textures and fabulous colours!
    Thank you so much for joining in our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Branka DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic projects and a great set of 'how to make' instructions. Thank you for sharing with us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous projects!! so artsy :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous bookmarks! Jess and great tutorial . Thanks for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Your tutorial is wonderful, packed with great information. Love the colors you used and the samples are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb tutorial Jess and I love the finished pieces. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. And thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie! xx

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.