Monday, July 17, 2017

Madame Rose- Fortune Teller

Hi Guys,

I am posting for Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts today.  I was playing around with my stuff and when I popped this Altoid Inserts Fairy Tale Frame on the tin I thought it looked like an old fortune teller machine.  I can't tell you why, my mind just went there and I ran with it.
Here's what I started with when I was pulling bits and pieces together.  Isn't that old cigar box label awesome?! I was going to just make the Altoid tin, but when I came across the label in my ephemera I knew I needed to use it, so I added the large Tim Holtz Vignette box.

 I prepped the outside of the tin with a quick coat of gesso. I wanted my tin to be purple, 
but I didn't have a shimmery purple paint.  I just mixed these two together.  

 This will be the only time you see this color.  The tin is inside the vignette box and you have no clue it's purple.  Trust me.  It's purple.
The frame was painted with the Royal red and the bits of leftover purple were rubbed on there.  I went back and added more Distress paint in Tarnished Brass and Distress Oxide Ink in Vintage Photo later to age it.  


The Vine Corners got a quick coat of Emerald Creek embossing powder in Vintage Ivy. 

 As did the Art Deco Border.  I embossed both sides of these pieces using Charred Gold.  When you get this from the store it is one large piece.  I wanted to use it to top my vignette box so I cut it to size.
Here is the tin with the Insert popped in there and the embossed medallion on the front. The crystal ball is made out of a bauble I covered with alcohol ink and glued to a vintage bingo marker.   

 Vines were added to the large vignette box. I glued on some flowers I inked up to look dried and old. I didn't take photos of the vignette box when I painted it.  I used a dry brush and did a quick coat of Broken China Distress Paint.  I watered down Prima Art Alchemy Paint in Gold Rush for a bit of shimmer in the corners.  I ran Vintage Photo Oxide all around and then sprayed so it dripped.  The edges of the box are rough embossed with Charred Gold Emerald Creek Powder.
 The Art Deco Border was glued to the top.  I accidentally ripped the cigar label when I was inking it.  I rolled with it and think it adds to the overall look.
Here's a shot from the top.  I didn't want the pieces to match up at all.  I want the box to look a little broken down. 

The rest is detail work.  I rolled up vintage fortunes and placed them in the bottom so people can get their fortune. I used a different type of vintage fortune to make a border around the box.  The fortune border was grunged up with a bit of Vintage Photo.   
I hope you like her as much as I do.  I think she will make a perfect addition to my little sideshow I have been creating.  
Jess




5 comments:

  1. This is such a cool project Jess! I think I saw it on FB. Great vintage style. ! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! Hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such a fabulous project! Love how you put it together, the end result looks super! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, this is such a cool piece! I love that Art Deco border piece so well dressed in the embossing powder! The crystal ball has me squealing with delight and every single detail is just amazing (as you are!). Great assemblage with so much attention to detail! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.