Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Sound of Music

Hi Everyone,
I am so excited to be sharing this project with you today.  I am the guest designer over at Frilly and Funkie today.  I was so happy to hear that the challenge theme is the Sound of Music. I am a huge music fan. When I am home there is almost always music on.  My taste is pretty varied too.  You never know what song might pop on the iPod next!

My first concert was Madonna back in the 80's. I was ten.  It was out in Foxboro Massachusetts, where the Patriots play.  We had nose bleed seats.  She looked like an ant.  I still know all of the words to her songs.  Ok, enough about me, let's get to the project.

I started by covering my canvas with Collage Medium and Melange Tissue Wrap.  I like bumps and wrinkles, so I squashed it around a bit.  I added a layer of Collage Medium to the top and some bits got Crazing added.

Once the canvas was dry I added texture paste through my mini stencil from set 25. Then I layered on my color using Broken China and Faded Jeans Oxides inks on the base.   I went Distress Crayon crazy using every shade of blue.  Once all of the blues were on I added some walnut stain to random edges.


I took some old sheet music and added it to the back if the canvas using Collage Medium and Crazing Medium.

 While the sheet music dried I worked on my interior piece.  I cut a piece of matboard, added a piece of paper from the 8x8 Etcetera pad, and inked the edges in Pumice Stone.

I cut heavy chipboard using the Crescent Moon and Stars die.  The moon was covered with Antique Linen Distress Glitter.

The various stars are covered with different things, some are covered with Pumice Stone Distress Glitter, some with Emerald Creek Hammered Metal Embossing Powder, and some with Emerald Creek Charred Gold Embossing Powder.  The moon and the stars covered with Distress Glitter were grunged up a bit using Distress Ink in Pumice Stone, Ground Espresso, and Vintage Photo.

My little paper doll is colored using Worn Lipstick Distress Marker on her dress. I used the same color for her bow, but I used my Oxide ink to color it.  I love how it is a bit darker.  


When the back was dry I colored it using Hickory Smoke, Walnut Stain, and Vintage Photo Distress Crayons.  I sliced it up like a very uneven pizza and colored the edges again.
I have to admit when I turned my canvas around and saw this I was pretty nervous.  I used my glue gun and glued the curls to the edge of the canvas.

I added in my moon and stars.  I used foam tape to adhere them to the background.  I then added my little girl and her clipping sentiment(there's that Madonna reference).

I stepped back to look at the canvas and something just wasn't right.  It didn't look finished.  I took out my girl and added a mask to the moon.  I splattered in Black Soot, Picket Fence, and Tarnished Brass  Distress Paints.  I added Dina Wakley Sterling for some heavier splats.  I popped my girl back in and added her wand.

I cut the Quote Chip using my Tonic scissors and added Tarnished Brass Paint to the edges.

The finishing touch was using metallic gel pens and my black Fude ball to add scribbles all over.
Here are a few more detail shots.


I hope you like here and thank you so much for stopping by!

Jess


Mix It Up Challenge Blog- Embossing( some of my stars are embossed)
Love to Create Challenge- Anything Goes Mixed Media





15 comments:

  1. i absolutely love what you did here...thanks for the detailed explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kiki! I am glad you found the tutorial helpful. Contact me if you have any questions :)

      Delete
  2. beautiful project. thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, this has got to be a favorite for me of yours! Love that glittery moon! What a great idea to open the canvas! Your blue background is gorgeous, and the splatters on the interior background is the perfect touch; I'm so pleased you added them! Well done, and big congratulations on your GDT spot at Frilly and Funkie! They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara! Thank you so much for all of your kind words.
      Jess

      Delete
  4. A super card and great design, it's just perfect for our Music theme at Allsorts this week, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, congrats on your GDT spot at F&F. Secondly, this mixed media canvas has all the stuff I enjoy! Crazy crayons, blues and browns, glitter, scribbles and so much more. The way you created the break through in the canvas is awesome sauce and fantabulous! Wonderful use of the chit-chats and so perfect for the canvas. I have to say I am smattered that you went to a Madonna concert. I enjoyed her early music (not so much now though) and actually just downloaded a song today.

    Thanks for joining us at Mix It Up and for using the optional embossing twist. Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki. I have seen Madonna twice. She puts on one heck of a show. I do enjoy her earlier music more than the techno stuff she does now. Thank you so much for popping by to check out my canvas.
      Jess

      Delete
  6. OMGosh!! I don't just like her....I LOVE her!!
    And Jess,the whole Madonna share part is perfect for this!
    Love how you made the piece look like it had exploded from the inside out and your little girl is darling!! Bravo!! A fav for me, that I have bookmarked!
    Jackie xx

    I would love to follow you by email, if so inclined, would you consider adding a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie! I am trying to figure out the email thing so I can get that up and going for you :)

      Delete
    2. Jackie, I figured out how to do the email sign up! It's on the top right hand side of the blog.

      Delete
  7. Wow Jess! LOVE your exploded panel - such a creative design - and the splatter and squiggles are perfect behind your little girl! Thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful Jess....loving all the wonderful details you have incorporated.
    Thanks for joining with us at A Vintage Journey for Jenny's Use a Quote challenge

    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.