Thursday, April 20, 2017

Pulling Double Duty

The theme this month on the Emerald Creek Dare is Double Duty.  We needed to create a project that could have more than one use or use something in an unexpected way.  My tag could be given to a friend that might need a little pick me up or would make a great little gift for Mom, since Mother's Day is coming up.  Can you guess what the skirt is made out of? Read on and you'll find out.  
I started by cutting out my dress form and using an embossing folder on the top portion.
I ran embossing ink over the top and sprinkled it with Charred Gold.  If you wanted the embossing powder to adhere only to the raised areas you can ink your folder and run it through your machine.  I wanted it to look a bit messy.    
I took some used tea bags and emptied them out.  Confession time.  I hate tea.  I am also not a coffee  fan.  The only reason I had these tea bags was because I was wicked sick last winter and my doctor suggested I drink tea.  I bought the tea.  I didn't get used until I made these skirts.  I inked the bottom half with various colors of Distress Ink and then stamped the Fallen Blossom stamp using Hydrangea Archival Ink.  
Accordion fold the bags and then run a quick stitch through the top.  I wrapped it around the waist and tied it.  I then ripped the top un-inked layer of the tea bag so you could see more of the detail underneath.  
A paper flower and the handmade charm finish off the dress form.  
I have no idea where this tag came from, but I thought it really fit the nature of this project.  A little message, some gel pen scribbles and my tag is complete.  
Can you use your supplies in an unexpected way? I'd love to see what you come up with.
Don't forget to pop over and enter the challenge for a chance so win a gift card to the Emerald Creek shop.  
Jess










23 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this! I am in awe that you used a tea bag for the skirting-stamped and inked gorgeous! The embossing powder over the dry embossed form turned out perfectly just subtle so not overpowering. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann for your kind words.
      Jess

      Delete
  2. This turned out so cute! I love the tag in the back... LOVE! The dress form is awesome and of course the tea bag skirt. I can't believe you don't care for coffee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I will drink coffee if I am exhausted I will drink a coffee, but it needs to be iced and from Dunkins.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! I love how you created the skirt with a tea bag ~ absolutely brilliant.
    Love! Love! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Would NEVER have guessed what you made that gorgeous skirt from - incredibly effective! And I love the tag you've mounted your beautiful mannequin on. An all round winner Jess! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous!!! Such a gorgeous tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friggin Brilliant Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Your powders and stamps make it easy.

      Delete
  7. Love this Jess! Especially love how you stamped the tea bag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katelyn. It was a great challenge since I don't drink tea!

      Delete
  8. Outstanding use of a tea bag!! Love the little flower at the waist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute, love the use of the teabag!!! Super cute tag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic use of your tea bag! Love it. Pinning to enjoy another day.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.