Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Creating with modeling paste

The Simon Says Stamp Blog is having a texture challenge this week.  I really liked design team member Andrea's use of modeling paste paste and embossing powder.

Full disclosure.  I thought I totally botched this tag.  I pulled out the tag and immediately stamped on the image I wanted to use.  Then grabbed my stencil and slapped on the paste.  It didn't hit me until after I removed the stencil that I had not done a darn thing to the background. So I had a single stamped image and some white modeling paste.  Way to go me.  Rather than start over I forced myself to keep going.  Ready?
I embossed the paste with gold and then ran my black distress marker over the areas where the embossing powder didn't stick.  I put it on so it would be a bit patchy.  I used the water pen to bleed the black out a tad. That gave me the idea to color in the stamp using my distress markers and stains.  
 The only time I have used this technique was when I learned how to do it in Creative Chemistry.  I really love the subtle shading.  
Now, remember at this point my background was still plain manila tag.  I grabbed my chalks and used a mossy green and tan to give the tag color.  I ran distress ink in Vintage Photo around the edges.  It still wasn't enough.  
I randomly used Remnant Rubs on the top and bottom of the tag.  Still not enough.  Final touch was Walnut Ink.  I spritzed it on and quickly rolled a paper towel over the top to soak up any excess.  

The ribbon is an old cloth measuring tape.  The Grungeboard tag is the little piece that comes on the package so you can feel the thickness.  I ran it through an embossing folder to give it texture.  It is painted with Mowed Lawn Distress Stain and the brown is Vintage Photo.  A token and safety pin complete the top.
A big brown button and a bit of gold tulle finish the tag.
Over at the Frilly and Funky blog they are having a texture and stencil challenge that I will enter this tag into as well.  
Hope you like it.  
What have you been crafting?
Jess

2 comments:

  1. A great use of paste! I love how you added the inks. A happy accident that turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing it with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Such an inspiring tag! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tnank you Michelle! I've been trying to make mistakes into remakes :)

      Delete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.