Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spring is here! Happy Bird Shadowbox

Spring is one of the best seasons in Arizona.  The weather is perfect and everything is in bloom.  We have a little sparrow that decided to build her nest on our porch.  We can't wait to meet her teeny family.  To celebrate spring and our little mommy I made this shadow box.



I love birds.  They show up all the time in my work. This shadow box will make a great addition to my collection of bird related creations I have in my bedroom.



I started with a basic pine box that I picked up at Goodwill.  I painted it with a Cornflower blue acrylic paint and then applied a light tan wash.  When the paint was dry I speckled with walnut ink, black and cream colored paints.  It looks just like a bird egg.  

Sorry about this terrible picture.  It was late and the light was really bad.  I wanted you to be able to see the paper I added to the back.  It's from BoBunny Press.  I added some Tumbled Glass and Pumice Stone Distress Ink to grunge it up a bit.  

Now time to add in the fun bits!


This is the smaller niche.  The three little birds are remnant rubs.  The ephemera bits are from an old K & Company line.  Of course they are made to look grungy using Distress Inks.  


The larger niche has moss from the Dollar Store on the bottom.  The bird(the nest and eggs) is from my stash.  All of the paper ephemera on the left side are front the same K & Company kit.  The ticket, the bird cage, the remnant rub, and the saying are from Tim Holtz.  The pen nib I got on clearance at work(I work in a bookstore).  The little brass bird in the cage was purchased at a sewing expo.  

The sides have Industrious Stickers on them.  I rubbed Weathered Wood Distress Paint on them. I let it dry a bit and then rubbed it off with a cloth.  I used the same technique for the feet. 


There you have it.  A happy shadowbox to welcome spring.  
Did you know I usually post pictures of projects I am working on on my Facebook page and Instagram?  You can find me on both by looking for TwoMadDahlias.  

I am entering this shadowbox into A Vintage Journey's Say it with Words Challenge.
Rhedd and Rosies is having a wood challenge this week too.

What have you been crafting?
Jess





4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, I love the bird and eggs.
    Love the papers and ephemera.

    Thanks for joining us at Rhedds Creative Spirit.

    Moira DT. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how sweet! Love all the ephemera, and great use of those metallic stickers on the edges - lovely shadow bird box. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so springy! Love your shadow box. All the elements work so well together. I just picked up a wee nest and eggs today.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.