Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fun with Distress Crayons

Have you jumped on the Distress Crayon bandwagon?  If you haven't you should.  It's a very fun wagon.
I got my crayons a couple weeks ago and I have been playing with them here and there.  I have tried using different background surfaces for blending.  I have tried using different mediums to add texture as well.  Here are a three of my favorite projects so far.




On this one I colored directly onto my stencil and then sprayed it with water.  I flipped the stencil onto my tag and rubbed it with my finger.  I was able to pull subtle color from the crayons into the exposed areas of the stencil, but leave the color saturation on the tag.   I stamped and added some white and black highlights using my fude ball pen.
This is done on an old card catalog card.  Her hat is made with tissue wrap that I used as my brayer cleaner when I was gelli printing. I made tiny tattered florals out of the tissue that I glued onto cheap white card stock.  Once the flowers were done I ran my black crayon around the edge and wet it. I smudged it out with my finger and then dripped white paint on them for extra dimension.  The leaves are just scraps of white card stock that I scribbled on with my green distress crayons.  

With this one I randomly scribbled the colors and then blended them with my finger.  I added a layer of texture paste and once that was dry I went back in with the same colors.  I love how rich and bold they look.  The bits of the crayon get stuck in the crevices and just add so much yumminess.  The little girl is colored with crayons too.  I put some on the craft sheet and added it to her using my water brush.  The highlights of yellow on the umbrella were just added directly from the crayon to the paper.  

Have you been playing with the Distress Crayons? I would love to see what you've come up with!
Jess

I am entering these into a few challenges: The Frilly and Funkie Let's Make it a Trio challenge.  
Anything but Cute Crazy for Color Challenge. 
Our Creative Corner Return of the Challenge! I chose the April 2015 April Showers bring May flowers as my inspiration- I've got bright spring colors, tons of flowers, and even a grumpy girl under an umbrella!
Try it on Tuesdays- Nature Theme Challenge
Emerald Creek Dares Ring in Spring


19 comments:

  1. These are amazing. I love the rich color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All gorgeous! Great colours and fabulous backgrounds!I have my crayons on order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three of your tags, and especially the center one, 'blessed with attitude'--lol! All are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your creation with us at the Frilly and Funkie Blog!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome textures and great vibrant colours! These are fabulous! Thank you so much for joining in our Crazy For Colour challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DTx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,my!! I ordered some crayons but they are still in the shipping box! Isn't that terrible?! Well, you have inspired me to get them out and see what colors I ordered!

    Gorgeous mixed media tags, with the most amazing backgrounds! My favorite is the one with the dimensional flowers because those flowers are awesome, but I love the bold background on the third. Thank you for joining our Crazy For Color challenge (and for the inspiration) at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks like you have been having a ball with your new toys. Lol! Wonderful colors in each tag and the little girl with the umbrella is my fave, love the sentiment as well and so very true! Fun times with the finger blending technique. Awesome sauce!

    Thanks for joining our "Crazy for Colour" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess you rock!!!! I'm so excited you enter this one. I simply love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of distress crayons, but I love your nature inspired hats. I can't believe you created these yourself. They are simply unbelievable. This is my first visit from Try it on Tuesday, but I certainly LOVE what I see and read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous all of them! Thank you for joining Try It On Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, look at those flower heads! Fun tags!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look fabulous, wonderful rich colours. Thank you for joining us at TioT's.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful set of ATCS, the backgrounds look amazing. Sounds as if you've been having fun with the crayons.
    Thanks for sharing at TioT
    Avril

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome... Yes, you've been having fun with the crayons! I have not got any yet, but you are definitely inspiring me to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all just fabulous! Makes me want to go home and play for sure!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Awesome artwork!
    Thank you so much for joining our Crazy for Colors challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are totally amazing!!! I love those distress crayons and you rocked this challenge with them. Thanks for sharing with us on Emerald Creek Supplies Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such fun techniques! I just received my Distress Crayons a few days ago so I am ready to jump on the bandwagon with you! Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares.
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVING your experimentation with the Distress Crayons Jess! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.