Monday, September 17, 2018

Collector of Curiosities

Hi Everyone,
I'm up on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog with a little Halloween decor piece.
 
Here's how you can make your own. 
Cover the Miniature Clipboard with a bit of Tim Holtz paper.  Cover the entire piece of paper with Distress collage medium.  I like the finish it gives and how it takes the various inks and crayons.  Ink the edges using walnut stain Distress Ink and add some splats(using your Tim Holtz Splatter stencil) to look like coffee and possibly slime.  The slimy green is actually Emerald Creek's Apple Martini embossing powder so it's raised up a bit off the paper.  I did emboss the clip part of the clipboard, but decided not to use it in my final design. 
Emboss the edge of your Small Canning Jar.  I made a jar similar to this back in February.  If you'd like to check out the tutorial I have linked it here for you.  With this jar, I wanted it to look a bit grungy and murky.  Pounce mushroom alcohol ink onto the acetate and it will muddy up the "liquid" inside the jar.  A piece of cheesecloth stained with blood(kidding, it's alcohol ink) gets tied to the lid. 
Cut a piece of background paper to go behind your canning jar and add your images.  These guys from the Tim Holtz Scared Silly set were stamped and fussy cut.  The images were stamped on a heavy watercolor paper and colored using Distress Markers.   Make sure you play with your placement before gluing anything down.  
You can see here at this point I was still playing with the idea of leaving it as a clipboard.  I also hadn't added the eyeballs.  It's always good to play with your composition before you glue!
 I decided that the jar on the clipboard wasn't enough and I wanted to beef up my project.  A small Tim Holtz framed panel was the answer.  Cover the panel with a piece of worn wallpaper and add Distress Oxides(walnut stain, ground espresso, forrest moss) so the paper looks water damaged.   
On the frame, randomly paint on Distress Rock Candy Crackle Medium. Once it starts to crackle you can heat it up to speed up the drying process.  Paint the frame using Prima Art Alchemy paint in Metallique Blackberry.  Once the metallic paint is dry use a thin layer of Distress Paint in Black Soot on the entire frame and wipe most of it away. You just want it to sink into the recesses.  In random areas add metallic waxes in opal colors.  This adds another layer of dimension, but doesn't add a ton of color.  The final step on the frame is to use a fine brush and Dina Wakley Gilt paint to go around the edges.  Perfection is not the goal here.  The frame is supposed to look funky and old.  
Glue the frame to the back. 
Add your clipboard to the frame and add a chip quote to the top. 
A Halloween story stick, clipping sticker, and eyeball brad round out the finishing touches. 
I hope you enjoyed this little project.  It was fun to make! I can't wait to pull out all of Halloween decor now.
I'm entering this into the  Simon Says Stamp- That's a Wrap! challenge.  The beast is lovingly packaged in a jar and wrapped up tight!









4 comments:

  1. Really fantastic I cannot wait to try some of these techniques on my artwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea for these jars! I love the grungy look and the frame turned out fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous project Jess ~ this is just so clever and such a great combination of products, I LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess this is FANTASTIC!!! I love the awesome look you gave to the frame and all the texture you created for the jar!!! This is extraordinary!!!
    Thank you for playing along with us over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, we all hope you are having fun with our #STAMPtember celebrations and we also hope to see you again playing with us this week!!
    hugs Zoey

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Blank Page Muse and the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.