Monday, November 5, 2018

Does the bell still ring for you?


Hi Everyone,
I have officially started my Christmas crafting!
One of my favorite Christmas stories is The Polar Express.  Today's project is a little nod to the book.

When I started this project I didn't think I wanted a tag as long as the Extra Large Tag (it's 8 inches long and 4 inches wide), so I cut off a big chunk.  Thankfully I saved the piece I cut off because as my project evolved I knew I needed it!
Start by painting the entire tag white and then stamping a line of music notes (from the special Tim Holtz Stamptember Set from Simon Says Stamp) all over the back using Distress Oxide ink in Hickory Smoke.  Then seal the ink using Distress Micro Glaze.  Once the micro glaze is on add Vintage Distress Collage Medium to the entire piece.  The thicker the glaze, the darker the color.
Next paint a piece of  Christmas Distress Collage tissue. The collage tissue is black and white, but it can be colored.  Pick the area you want to show and on the backside apply your paint.  The paint doesn't have to be perfect, but it shouldn't go too far outside the lines(unless that's the look you're going for).   I used Forest Moss, Peeled Paint, Victorian Velvet, and Vintage Photo Distress Paints to color my tissue.  
Once the paint is dry adhere it to the bottom of the tag.  The tissue blends in so well it looks like it was part of the background all along.  

Add a bit of Charred Gold embossing powder from Emerald Creek around the edge of the entire piece.  
Paint the Frame in Tarnished Brass Distress Paint.  Once it is dry add Deco Art's Crackle Glaze.  The glaze makes teeny cracks, like you see on old china.  When the glase is dry rub Distress Crayon in the cracks to make them pop.  Glue the frame to the tag. Using a bit of foam tape, add a piece of patterned paper inside the frame.  Color your paper doll and adhere her to the patterned paper(she's popped up with a bit of foam tape too). Add a tiny bell to her hand.    
The paper doll had a little paper tassel on her hat, but mine ripped off.  So to give her hat a makeover.  Color a baubble using Spun Sugar Distress Paint.  Once the paint is dry add a bit of mushroom alcohol ink to age it a bit.  You can see the tiny cracks in the frame a bit better here too.  

Using the Tim Holtz festive foliage die make a bunch of flowers to adhere to the corner of the frame. 

Now here is the part when I decided I wanted to add more to my tag.  My sentiment wasn't working the way I thought it would and it just needed more.  I took the part I had cut off earlier and glued it to the base creating a little shelf.  Color the fringe using spray ink and alcohol ink and glue it to the base.  
Paint a salvaged santa using Distress Paint and Alcohol inks.  Once the paint is dry rub Hickory Smoke Distress Crayon to pick up the nooks and crannies. Paint the deer using gold alcohol ink.  Glue them all to the base.
One the opposite side glue a bottle brush tree decorated with vintage mercury glass. 
I added the quote token to the top of the tag to finish it off.  
I hope the bell always rings for you. 

Have you started your Christmas crafting?

4 comments:

  1. I just love this Jess! Beautiful take on a beloved story! The colors you e used are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful!!! Love the paint on the Collage backside...brilliant.a beauty in pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful tag! I love all the detail and how you captured the Polar Express story especially with the little girl and bell - fabulous 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful piece and I'm always a fan of projects that are inspired by literature. Kudos for starting your Christmas crafting early! I like how your piece has that wonderful vintage feel and is bursting with so many 3D elements. Best of luck as you keep the Christmas crafts coming and thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.