Monday, October 16, 2017

Tell Tale Heart

Hi Everyone,
I am up on the Gypsy Soul LAser Cuts blog with a really cool creepy project today.




Take a brown paper sack and crumple it up.  I crumpled and uncrumpled mine several times to get the wrinkles the way I liked them.  I glued the bag to the Faux Book Box using Distress Collage Medium.  Once the collage medium was dry I used Distress Stains to color the paper. I kept adding and wiping away the stain until I was happy with the color.
I added Distress Crayon in Ground Espresso to the book to highlight the wrinkles.
Next I embossed a couple Stackable Labels using Charred Gold and glued them to the cover of the book. 
Printers Ornamental Corners were added to the spine(also embossed with Charred Gold). 
The inside of the box is covered with a paper that looks like weathered wood and the edges are embossed.  
A faux pocket watch has a picture of Poe inside.  I colored the edge with alcohol inks in mushroom and red pepper.  Silk sari ribbon was dyed using Distress Stain in walnut Stain and Alcohol Ink in Red Pepper.  The alcohol ink gave the ribbon the deep red color I wanted.  The watch was then glued on top of the stackable labels.
   
The relics and artifacts heart was painted red and left to air dry.  I added a layer of collage medium onto the heart and heated it with an embossing gun.  The glue bubbled and looked pretty gross(the look I was going for).  I added another layer of red paint to the heart.  
The heart hangs freely in the box so you can hear it bumping around.

I added the quote from the story to complete the tale.  
The back is blank, but you can see how the book looks like wrinkly old leather. 


Happy Halloween!
Jess



13 comments:

  1. Love it Jess and thanks for showing the process....love the brown paperbag and distressing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whole thing! Tge bubbly paint job is genuis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous creation Jess, the words give it such a devilishly spooky feel. The heart looks amazing with the bubbled up glue. A really fabulous Halloween piece!

    Thanks so much for joining in our Autumn Colours Challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great spooky piece of art and wonderful texture. Thanks for joining in with us at Country View Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnifique livre ,merci de votre participation à notre challenge Sandee & Amelie's à bientôt Nate .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Love the entire thing. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.



    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great Ode to Poe! Love the box you created for the heart - perfect for the season! thanks for sharing with us at SASPC! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.