Monday, December 4, 2017

Merry and Bright Lantern

I'm up on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog today with a Christmas Lantern.



I have to admit I had one idea for this lantern and it turned into something completely different.
I started by assembling the lantern, just to be sure I was doing it correctly and so I would know what I would need to paint.
I disassembled it and started painting.
This is a really heavy duty chipboard and paint doesn't absorb into it like it does with thinner chipboard.  I did not put down a layer of gesso. I just went right in with a thin layer of black acrylic paint.  The entire piece was covered.  Once the black was dry I stippled on metallics.  I used Dina Wakley Paints in Gilt, Ancient, Penny, and Sterling.
To decorate the top I used the snowflake border from the Winter Shape Set.  Two snowflakes fit perfectly on each side of the top.  The snowflakes got a quick coat of silver paint.I wanted to add glitter, but didn't want to deal with using glue to make the snowflakes tacky. I decided to run them through my Xyron sticker maker on the painted side.  I added a clear glitter and had very little mess.
The snowflakes were glued to the top.


Here's where I changed my mind.  I decided I wanted to make this look like an actual lantern and not a winter scene inside the lantern like I had originally planned.  I took plain tissue paper and Tim Holtz's Frosted Film to line the inside of the panels.  Vellum would work too, but I like the frosted film because it gives an icy look and feel.  I did not attach the one side that isn't notched so you can add a flameless candle inside to make it look like a real lantern.

Grit paste with glitter sprinkled on top made the snow on the lantern.  The top was covered with grit paste and my pieces were stuck in while it was still wet.
The santa was colored using acrylic paint and then aged using alcohol inks.  The deer were aged using alcohol ink too.  The berries on his neck are old mercury glass that I colored using alcohol ink.   

The front of the lantern has the Tim Holtz Holiday Wreath that I stuck some extra greeny into and then added some frosted berries.  The big bow is from the fold up bow die.  The bells are from the new ideaology assortment. The sentiment is from the holiday chip quotes. 
This thing is really hard to photograph!
Happy holidays!




6 comments:

  1. glad you changed your mind cuz this is gorgeous! the other would have been too, i am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lantern looks absolutely stunning Jess! I love how you've used that frosted film for the windows - it will look so beautiful with an artificial candle flickering inside. Love that you've also gone to town with a whole festive scene on top too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very sweet! I love this scene and the way you embellished the lantrn. The bow is so adorable! Thank you for joining our Icy theme over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lantern, it looks so vintage. Just perfect for A Vintage Journey. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your christmas lantern is fantastic, Jess. Love the paint colours you worked with on the lantern and those frosted windows . The lantern 'roof' makes an ideal platform to stage your chrismtmas scene. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey x

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.