I have to admit I had one idea for this lantern and it turned into something completely different.
I started by assembling the lantern, just to be sure I was doing it correctly and so I would know what I would need to paint.
To decorate the top I used the snowflake border from the Winter Shape Set. Two snowflakes fit perfectly on each side of the top. The snowflakes got a quick coat of silver paint.I wanted to add glitter, but didn't want to deal with using glue to make the snowflakes tacky. I decided to run them through my Xyron sticker maker on the painted side. I added a clear glitter and had very little mess.
The snowflakes were glued to the top.
Here's where I changed my mind. I decided I wanted to make this look like an actual lantern and not a winter scene inside the lantern like I had originally planned. I took plain tissue paper and Tim Holtz's Frosted Film to line the inside of the panels. Vellum would work too, but I like the frosted film because it gives an icy look and feel. I did not attach the one side that isn't notched so you can add a flameless candle inside to make it look like a real lantern.
Grit paste with glitter sprinkled on top made the snow on the lantern. The top was covered with grit paste and my pieces were stuck in while it was still wet.
The santa was colored using acrylic paint and then aged using alcohol inks. The deer were aged using alcohol ink too. The berries on his neck are old mercury glass that I colored using alcohol ink.
The front of the lantern has the Tim Holtz Holiday Wreath that I stuck some extra greeny into and then added some frosted berries. The big bow is from the fold up bow die. The bells are from the new ideaology assortment. The sentiment is from the holiday chip quotes.
This thing is really hard to photograph!