Earlier this year I made the decision to step down from most of my design teams and not to apply to any new ones. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy being on teams and I have been on some amazing ones, but I missed making just to make. I wanted more time to play with my stuff. Today I pulled out a bunch of my new toys and just made. I wanted to try a couple experiments, some worked and some didn't but I had the time to do it. I think play makes you a better artist. You learn how to use your tools in new and creative ways.
So, here is the result of today's session.
I pulled bits from my vintage ephemera drawers and picked pieces that matched the color scheme of the base. The vintage fortune gave me the idea to create the social butterfly.
I picked the Found Relative out of the new pack and started to alter her. I took two pairs of the new acetate wings from Tim Holtz and coated the back of one with collage medium. I smooshed Oxide ink in Victorian Velvet, Worn Lipstick, and Spun Sugar on my craft mat. I ran the wings through and dried them. I added a couple more layers like this. Once I had the pink the way I liked it I sprayed the wings with Distress Spray Stain in Tea Dye and used an old Perfect Pearls mister to get the hint of sparkle. I coated a second pair of wings and then smoosh the two together.
I cut slits into the photo and slipped them in. I glued them to the back of the photo. I took some teeny vintage flowers and gave her a large bundle right where she had some flowers on in the photo. I colored the background using a Distress Marker in Tumbled Glass. I added a double layer of foam tape to the back of the photo so she is raised off the base.
I embossed a Gypsy Soul Frame with gold embossing powder and slipped it behind the photo so you can just see the flourish.
There ya go! The social butterfly is ready to go to her supper(did you see that on the vintage ticket) and mingle.
Have a great weekend,
Try it on Tuesdays Inspired by a word challenge(the word I was inspired by was social)