Thursday, March 9, 2017

Beautiful Relic Stage using Distress Oxides

I started out this morning playing with my Distress Oxides and made this tag.

I wanted to put a Paper Doll on it, but the one I chose was too big.  My tag evolved into this.


I used a stage from Gypsy Soul Laser cuts as my base.  I covered the base, the sides, and  the curtains with paper from Tim Holtz's Wallflower pad.  I used a piece of Prima paper for the back.
I used Distress Oxide ink in Vintage photo along the top and then sprayed it with water to make the runs.  The sides, curtains, and base received the same treatment but I used various colors of the Oxides. 
The back was coated with a very thin layer of gesso.  I then blended and sprayed the Oxide inks until I achieved a patina I liked.  Once it was all dry I used my mini stencil with Archival inks in Watering Can and Hydrangea for the flowers.  It looks like old water stained wallpaper.
The top and the bunting are embossing using Charred Gold powder.  I used oxide inks and crayons to get the different shades.  
I added some moss and mushrooms to add to the decayed look of the piece.  I am normally really particular about making sure the raw chipboard edges are painted, but I think it added to the look I was going for.  
I need to get back to playing with my inks now :)

A Vintage Journey- All Aboard
Country View Challenges- Inspired by Tim Holtz
 Simon Says Stamps Monday- Make your own Background
Creative Carte Blanche- Numbers, Numbers, Numbers




12 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love stages, Jess! This is awesome! All the details are just wonderful - from the butterfly in the bird cage to the numbers on the ruler and the ideology piece above! Those boys are darling as well. Fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I have been saving the brass number tag forever. I think it was a cattle marker or something.

      Delete
  2. Patina is the perfect word for your backgrounds. You certainly achieved a beautiful patina. The "brothers" are perfect for the stage as well. They look like they are ready to recite something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. I wanted them to look like old side show workers at an abandoned carnival.

      Delete
  3. Such a cool little piece Jess! Wonderful background for those flying boys and lots of fun touches like the ruler and birdcage! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp for our Monday challenge! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maura! I had so much fun making it.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh Jess, I love this so much! Fabulous textures and love the brothers and their wonderful Botanical wings. Amazing patina effects, thanks so much for sharing it and for joining us at A Vintage Journey to help us celebrate our third birthday! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful vintage stage!!! Thank you for joining the March challenge of the Country View Challenges blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tag was lovely to begin with but the end product is so much more! Plenty of great details in that make, very much Tim inspired and I think he would like it too... Thanks for joining us at Country View Challenges this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even use the tag in the final project. I ended up using the technique to make the old wallpaper on the back of the stage. I have the tag stashed for something else.

      Delete